Tuesday 20 January 2009

Yes We Can!

Dear Anyone,

Today is an historic day (I don't understand why you have to put 'an' in front of 'historic' when 'historic' doesn't begin with a vowel or have a silent 'h'...anyway) in which Barack Obama is sworn in as the 44th, first African-American, handsomest, fittest, and most charismatic President of the United States of America.

Now I would like to appeal to any red-necks who may accidentally find themselves reading this: give Obama a chance please. Don't just look at the the colour of his skin, listen to what he has said, and if anything, challenge him to see if he delivers. Let him serve at least one term. He is half white after all. If you have to, only like his white side. Think about the fact that as a baby he was fed by a white woman's breast. Will that comfort you? I hope so.

I am so glad I was able to watch the inauguration live, because I didn't think it would be possible, since it was being shown from 4pm, and I don't finish work until 6pm. But luckily my team leader was able to get the security men in the building to switch the plasma TV to BBC1, and we (plus a quite a few others in our office) were able to watch the swearing in and speech live. I'm quite sure he memorised the whole thing, because he clearly wasn't looking at any sheet of paper, and obviously there was no tele-prompter. But it was a very positive and inspirational speech, and I pray to God that he is able to serve at least one term successfully, and implement all that he's planning. The hard work begins tomorrow...

Now repeat after me - YES WE CAN!

1 comment:

John Boy said...

I'm getting stick for not bothering to watch this historic moment. What can I say? A quick moment of introspection told me I had no desire to see it and the highest service I can do myself is spend my spare time in the name of desire.

p.s.

That 'h' thing is something to do with french, I think. I remember my french teacher at school saying something about it.