Thursday 1 January 2009

Winter Sun

Dear Anyone,

Happy New Year!

I've been in Ghana since Christmas Day, and I have to say that I'm actually enjoying it this time. I don't usually have that much fun, because there isn't anyone for me to hang out with, since most of my cousins moved to England, but this time they all came for my dad's 60th birthday and retirement party. I came with my two brothers, my youngest brother's girlfriend and my nephew.

I've had the most tiring day today though. Today was the 'Visit Family' day, and it started very early, which is why I didn't see fit to go out last night. My brothers and cousin did though, and you should have seen them struggle through today! Very funny.

We had to leave home at about 7.45am to get to my dad's hometown for a church service. Along with their usual sermon, they were also having a thanksgiving section for him for his retirement, and I think he's quite important in his town. Three and a half hours! And it wasn't in English so I hardly had a clue what was going on. The worst part (or maybe I shouldn't say 'worst', more 'embarassing') was when they said they had the band there especially for my dad and his family, so we all had to get up and dance around the church while they played. I'm too shy for things like that! But it was nice of them I guess.

My brothers and I didn't stay for the whole service, because we had to go and see my mum's family, the most important being her eldest sister who is more like a grandma to us. She's not been very well since she had a stroke a few years ago. But seeing her again has made me decide that I'm not going to Ghana again until I have a boyfriend. The last time I saw her was when we went there three years ago, and she told me to hurry up and find someone, so that she can see my child before she's gone. That was three whole years ago, and I'm still not any closer to fulfilling her wish. Obviously I'm not rushing anything with anyone to make someone else happy, but I would love it it if she was still here to see my child. She asked me again, and I wanted to laugh, because the way she put it was as though she thought I have no interest in men, and that I am the one shying away from finding someone. I wish! But she hasn't been the only one asking, I'm getting it from all over - even my dad! That's how I know it's serious. But I'm glad my aunty has at least been able to meet my nephew Hurricane.

We also went to briefly visit my grandad (mum's dad), another of her sisters, and also to see the plot of land she's having her house built on. It's a long drive back to Accra, but thank goodness we're home now. I'm really tired.

I've been having fun though. We've been out to a few places, like a karaoke bar called Champs, which was funny (but we didn't participate of course), a club called Rhapsody in the new Accra Mall. The mall is impressive though. It looks very Westernised and seems to be the teenage hangout. It's got clothes shops, electrical shops, perfume shop, gift shops, a food court, and a cinema upstairs. We didn't actually go to the cinema so I don't know what was showing. Ghana's coming up! We also went swimming at La Palm Royal Beach Hotel (well I didn't swim, I watched) and we plan to go to a beach called Bojo Beach, which apparently is very nice. That might have to be on Sunday, because my brother and his girlfriend have planned a day together tomorrow, and my dad's party is on Saturday.

I've been like a mum for the holiday, because I'm the primary carer of Hurricane. My brother - his dad - has had to stay in my dad's other house due to space, so I share a room with him and it is hard work! But he LOVES it in Ghana - all the space to run about that he doesn't get in London.

And every other time we've been drinking! There is so much readily available alcohol in this house, it's hard not to! But you'll be pleased to know that I haven't been (really) drunk.... yet, and I certainly will not be touching a drop of alcohol until at least February, starting from the minute I step into London on 6 January. Promise.

No comments: