Sunday 25 January 2009

New Kids On The Blog II

Dear Anyone,

I've just come back from re-living my childhood at the O2 Arena!! I've finally seen New Kids On The Block live!! And it was sooooooooo good. They didn't disappoint at all. And before you ask - no, they're not old men, and yes, they can still move!

I went with my cousin Wonder, my friend Roxy and her sister. Roxy had booked the tickets in September (as I have previously mentioned) but the tickets only arrived just before Christmas. Roxy didn't even look at them properly, she just went and locked them in a safe straight away!

When we got to the venue and made our way to our seats, there was no way we were staying there. They had put us in the seats right at the top, where you could literally touch the ceiling! Why??? Those were definitely not the seats that Roxy had booked, because I specifically remember her telling me at the time that we would be on ground level in the second block, so every time I thought about it, that's where I pictured us. Fortunately when we took them to the ticket desk, the girls behind the counter changed them for us, and gave us seats on the side, from where we could see the whole stage, but they told us not to tell anyone, because they weren't really allowed to do that, and they'd had to turn away whole families. Then when we got to our seats the girls in front of us told us that their original seats were even higher than ours, and they were also told not to tell anyone of their seating change. It turns out that almost everyone in our block had been moved if they'd asked, because the concert was being filmed for a DVD and they didn't want any gaps in the audience. I almost wanted to take back my sincere thanks to the desk girls, but because I'm a nice person, I didn't.

Like I said before, the concert was wicked. They opened with their current song, but most of it featured all the old tunes. We screamed like teeny-boppers, especially Wonder, because as sad as I am to announce this, at the age of 29.... this was her first ever concert. Yep. That's right. Her first. I don't know what she's been doing all these years. Actually I do, but I won't expose her. She kept saying to me beforehand that she thinks she might faint, and she didn't understand why I was saying that if she did she would be going alone to the first aid room. Why would you faint?? Why waste a ticket by fainting?? This isn't Michael Jackson we're talking about. Even then, when I saw him in concert, fainting wasn't an option! If I'd met him however, then that might be an altogether different story. Anyway...

Wonder kept screaming "I love you Donnie!! Donnie I love you!!" It was hilarious! I can't think of anything they didn't sing that they should have, and what was best of all was that Jordan sang his solo tune 'Give It To You'. I love it!!!!!!!!!! I wish they hadn't have changed the dance routine, but hey it was all good.

The only thing I didn't really understand was why there were kids there who probably weren't even born when NKOTB split up. You can't tell me that their mums knew really early on that they wouldn't find babysitters, so they bought them tickets instead. There was a little girl sitting in front of us, and she was bored out of her brains. She sat down for the most part of it, watching other people's reactions. She must have thought we were crazy. Donnie carried one young girl up on stage, and she was looking at him like she couldn't make out what he was, almost as though she was disgusted by what she was seeing. Waste!

Now I think this new wave of boyband/girlband reunions is a good thing (though no one has made it as lucrative as Take That have). It provides a nice trip down memory lane. My cousin Ursula went to the Spice Girls reunion concert a year ago (yep she's a lot younger than me) and she had a blast, so she knows the excitement I felt. Living in the past is where it's at!

2 comments:

Matilda Egere-Cooper said...

Ok, I thought I was the only brown chick who blogged her excitement of seeing NKOTB ;D I saw them @ Hammersmith...Big show! x

Wonderful said...

It's something that has to be documented!