Monday 11 August 2008

Post-Holiday Blues

Today… is my first day back at work… after my holiday in Barbados. And those words… were not easy for me to write… without my lip quivering.

I loved it there. I belong there. It was beautiful. The people were so polite, the weather was lovely (apart from the few times it rained, but it is rainy season, so we were lucky it only rained the few times it did) and they know how to party HARD! We did the party-through-till-daylight-then-no-sleep-that-day thing, and it was difficult. I’m clearly not as young as I think I am/used to be. As a result of serious fatigue, I damaged my camera by leaving it in a pool of apple juice in my handbag (don’t ask), and therefore my photos for the last few days are very sporadic, to say the least. I have blank spaces where Carnival and Boat Party activity should be. But I won’t fret, because the others got some good photos, so I’ll just right click on them when they put them on good ole Facebook.

We stayed in a lovely apartment in Dover, Christchurch, which is basically the area close to most things, but also the more expensive area, because it is where the tourists go. Of course with the British Pound being as strong as it is, we didn’t feel the expense too much. That sounds so boastful doesn’t it? But it’s true. We also had a supermarket next door, which was the most convenient thing ever, the beach right across the road, various restaurants along the road, and taxis practically at our beck-and-call. The taxi drivers really know their country. They literally double as tour guides, and it’s so impressive. It was the life I tell you.

Being in the Caribbean you know that rum was at our fingertips. And we feasted on it! As soon as we’d finish breakfast, we could have a tipple before going out for the day, and because we weren’t going to work, we didn’t need to feel guilty about it! “I feel tipsy – so what?!” I brought quite a few bottles home with me… for the family of course… and… you know… social gatherings I may have… and the like… Leave me alone, I'm not an alkie!

The only thing we thought would be slightly tricky was finding out what events were happening where and when, but fortunately for us Salop’s friend Dom took very good care of us. He was literally a Bajan “It Boy”. Everywhere we went it seemed he knew everyone! He practically had our social agenda mapped out for us, and even if he wasn’t going out on a particular night, we had people there who had also come from London and knew what was going on, because they are what can only be described as veteran Barbados holidaymakers. Some of the things we did were: Carnival (of course); a tour of the island (with a taxi driver as our tour guide, naturally) where we visited a historical cave; a Boat Party on the Harbour Master Boat – and I went snorkelling during that party! I can’t believe I did it, but I had to just to say I have. I was SO scared, because I can’t swim, but luckily there was a really nice lady who held my had for most of the time, and when she let go, I was given a float by another guy. I’m not ashamed to say it – I’M 30 YEARS OLD AND I NEEDED A FLOAT.


I definitely, without-a-doubt, want to go back there again. It was a good group of people I went with, no drama, no arguements, exactly how it should be. Hopefully they'll want to return too. Now I'm going to wallow in the withdrawal I'm experiencing, so please give me some time...

No comments: