Tuesday 16 December 2008

And Then There Were Two

Dear Anyone,

This past weekend was the Cousins Weekend that Wonder, Ursula and I had been looking forward to for a couple of weeks. The plan was to stay at Wonder's place from Friday to Sunday, chill, eat, drink, and go partying. It didn't quite work out a well as we'd hoped, and now Ursula and I have kinda fallen out with Wonder.

Friday night was cool, we went out to a bar/club like we'd planned, and although it wasn't the kind of place I'd ever suggest going, we were able to make our own fun, and I got very tipsy. You'd need to in that place really.

On Saturday now, although we didn't have definite plans of what we would do that day, we knew that it would involve cooking, maybe playing games, watching TV - whatever really. But that morning, at about 11am maybe, Wonder's boyfriend called her and said he was around the corner. So she - quick as a flash - went to get showered and dressed. Naturally I thought she got changed because he was coming round. There's nothing wrong with that, obviously she wanted to look nice for her man, fair enough. Then he came round about 20 minutes later, and she was looking for her scarf and asking me if she could borrow my gloves, so it was obvious by now that they were going somewhere. All she told us was that they were going to West Green Road (wherever the hell that is). She didn't say what for or how long they would be, she just wanted Ursula and I to keep a look out for the tow truck, just in case they came to take his car away (since he didn't have a parking permit on it).



They were gone for the WHOLE day. She didn't get back till about 6pm. Ursula and I had to keep ourselves occupied by watching nothing on TV (Saturday day-time television is rubbish). We clearly couldn't go out, because Wonder had taken the house keys with her. We phoned her a couple of times to find out where she was, and asked her to pick up a couple of things (like ingredients and a Scrabble board game - something to do!) and each time she was being really coy. When she came back she was being really blase about it, and tried to make it seem like she had gone out of HER way to buy US the scrabble game, which she didn't even pay for. I was telling her that it was rude of her to just go out and leave us there all day and Ursula was telling her - partly in jest - that she had to earn her way back into the circle of trust. We don't really have a circle of trust, she was just being silly. But Wonder's attitude was that of: "Well we had something important to do, and anyway I wouldn't care if I was at your house and you went out with your boyfriend, so why should you?" I didn't want it to become a big thing, but I couldn't feel 100% settled and joke around with her, because I didn't like the behaviour I was seeing. She went on to show us the new dress the boyfriend had bought her, and that just pissed me off a bit more.


That evening we tried to go clubbing, but because we took her word for it that nowhere would be open till very late, we didn't leave until 1.30am, and surprise surprise, everywhere we went was either completely empty, or had stopped admitting people, so we went back to hers. Then the topic of what had happened that day came up again, and she developed an attitude that really really pissed us off, saying that we'd been making snide comments to her all evening, but she's not listening to what we say or going to say anything else otherwise she's going to get really angry. Then she finished her tea, covered herself with her duvet and tried to go to sleep. What the hell would she have to be angry with us about??? She basically wasted our day by running to her boyfriend's beck-and-call, and yet she's getting angry with us? She's having a laugh. Ursula and I retired to bed also, and decided that we'd leave in the morning, because it just wasn't worth the hassle.


Wonder didn't say a word to us on Sunday morning. She was just tidying up her flat, throwing things in the room and banging pots and plates in the kitchen. It was actually hilarious. The pettiest display of all was when I received a text from her asking for my bank details (I lent her some money months ago). Let's bear in mind that she was in the sitting room and we were in the bedroom. We hadn't even discussed money that weekend, it was never an issue, so I guess that was her way of having no more to do with me. Absolutely fine. I'm broke right now and about to travel, so the money will be very handy.


Am I being dramatic or not? My issue is that she refuses to even try and see it from our point of view and was just being dismissive. We've come to your house for the weekend, but you choose to go off with your boyfriend instead. Why did we bother wasting time travelling all the way there then? I could have saved money and stayed at home, or made better use of my time. I just think it's rude, and one of my pet peeves is people who are unnecessarily rude. I can't stand it.

We haven't spoken since and I don't really care. I might do later, but not right now. If that's how you treat people who are always there for you, help you when you need it and try to cheer you up when you're down, then good luck to you. I hope you and your boyfriend live happily ever after.

No comments: