Friday 23 July 2010

Fishing Trip III

Dear Anyone,

I decided to go fishing again, as in I browsed the dating website Plenty Of Fish, which I haven't visited in a while, and yesterday evening I met up with a guy I spotted on the site.

About two weeks ago I was reminded of the site when it was mentioned on someone's blog, and I thought "Oh yeah - that!" So I logged in to see what was happening, but as usual it wasn't much. They have a new section you can click on that says 'We can predict who you will date and marry', and of course it sounds so ridiculous that I just had to click to see what they call a match. I spotted a guy who I thought looked pretty cute, and when I read his profile it made me laugh, because it was quite honest, humourous, and best of all - he wrote correctly!! I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to correct written grammar, and I've stated quite clearly on my profile that I don't want to be contacted by voluntarily illiterate guys.

I sent him a message to say I liked his profile and that he is one of my POF predictions, and he responded that he also liked my profile, and many things I posses are a catch to him. We sent messages back and forth for the next two days or so, but he was travelling to Turkey for a week that weekend, so in his last message he left his number, and I responded with mine, because I thought it better that he calls me since I didn't know when he'd be back... and also because I didn't want to be the first to call! He called me last Saturday (when he got back) and I missed his call, then when I called back, he missed mine, and this continued until Sunday afternoon! When we eventually spoke the conversation was cool, not awkward in any way. He seemed quite laidback and easy-going.

On Tuesday we chatted briefly via Blackberry Messenger and arranged to meet for after work drinks on Thursday. While I was waiting I was praying SO HARD for God to let me like him. I have to be honest: I liked his profile picture a lot, I showed it to my friends and my manager, but the subsequent photos he sent me didn't do him justice, and he looked totally different in all three pics, so I was really hoping he at least looked like a cross between Photo 1 and Photo 3. And God came through. He looked pretty much like his profile picture. He was dressed smartly in a suit (because obviously he was coming from work) and taller than me (which isn't very hard, fair enough, but some poor guys can't manage that!). He told me that his hayfever was quite bad that day, because he forgot his medicine. We went for drinks at a bar/restaurant near my workplace, and being that it was Happy Hour it was busy and we weren't able to sit, so we stood outside with our drinks and chatted. The conversation was cool, he asked a lot of questions and I asked questions back. We spoke about work, exercise, dating, the POF website, family, holidays, favourite foods, etc. He didn't seem as relaxed as I'd hoped, but I put that down to maybe nerves or discomfort with his hayfever. After an hour and a half and two cocktails each, we left. He offered me a lift home (and I didn't realise he had driven) and at first I declined, because he seemed really tired and had a long way to go, but he said it was no problem, so I let him. In the car he complimented me on my figure and said he can tell I work out quite a bit, to which I laughed and said that it was just good genes (and that's the truth, I can't afford to have muscles - the last thing I want is to look like some butch femme). When we got to my place we didn't stay in the car chatting or anything. I thanked him for the evening, and we just did the formal(ish) goodbye kiss on the cheek thing, and he said he'll speak to me soon.

There wasn't really any flirting on this date. My cousin Ursula described it perfectly when she asked me whether it was like going for drinks with a colleague. It kind of was, there wasn't really any chemistry as such, but I would be willing to meet again in a less 'formal' setting to see how he is. I sent him a message thanking him again this morning and I asked how his hayfever is, and he replied saying it was really nice meeting me and that his hayfever is much better today. So... I guess we'll see...

No comments: