Monday 9 March 2009

M.Y.O.B

Dear Anyone,


I'm getting a little tired of people who don't pay me or my bills, telling me how I should spend the money I earn. And yet they like to squander their pennies on nonsense they'll never see again.


My two cousins and I (Wonder and Ursula) are planning on going to New York this summer, for about 10 days. Now I am someone who has to get out of this country at least once a year, otherwise I'll go mad. I enjoy travelling - sue me. But because others don't feel the same, they can't understand it. So instead they tell me that I travel too much, and ask me how I can afford it, and tell me that I should be saving instead. I'm sorry, but I didn't realise you were my bank manager and every deposit or withdrawal made from my account is instantly reported to you. How do you know that I don't save? I save to go on holiday, that's why I can and you can't!!!!!


Last week I bought myself a new mobile phone, because my current one is seriously malfunctioning, and I'm not eligible for an upgrade until at least August. Obviously when you buy the handset only without a new contract to go with it, it's quite pricey. But I'm being asked "Why are you paying so much for a phone? Blah blah blah." I bought this phone on eBay, and it was far cheaper than it would have been if I had bought it in a shop. Do you honestly think I would paid for it if it meant that I couldn't survive until the next pay day? Of course not. I'm not stupid. And I am also not a shopaholic either. I know how to practice restraint - in fact I consider myself to be a true professional at being broke but not looking like it! Yet these people talk about how they spent £hundreds getting drunk and trying to live the champagne lifestyle at over-priced clubs. Once you've been to the toilet to piss and throw up, what do you have to show for it? Nada.


The way I see it, my salary is literally pittance (if you knew how much I don't earn you'd laugh at me) and the only way to keep sane is to treat myself once in a while. I was unemployed for years after university, and my current job is the longest I've held in a full-time position, so for once I have more money coming in than I ever have. If I am able to experience new things with it, why shouldn't I???

No comments: